Electrical Outlets

Overloaded electrical outlets are one of the major causes of residential fires

Two-thirds of all electrical fires begin in plugs or cords on appliances such as refrigerators, air conditioners or lamps.

Frayed cords expose the electrical wires that spark on contact with each other. Most electrical fires can be prevented!

Here are some ways you can help:

  • Make sure your parents use light bulbs that are appropriate for the light fixture.
  • Make sure they protect all of the electrical cords in your home from damage, for example, don’t run cords under carpets or rugs and don’t hang them from nails.
  • Make sure someone inspects the appliances in your home to make sure they’re running smoothly.
  • Give that TV a break! Your appliances like TVs, stereos and computers need plenty of space so they don’t overheat.
  • Remind your parents that power strips and surge protectors don’t provide more power. That means, no one in your house should be relying on them too heavily! Don’t overload them by plugging too many things into each one.
  • You can become an appliance watch dog in your own home! Make sure your parents unplug appliances like toaster ovens, hair dryers and coffee pots when they’re not using them.