Natural gas has no scent of its own so an odorous scent is added for your safety!
Did you know? Natural gas is used as a fuel for many things in our homes, including cooking, heating and drying clothes.
It’s very rare there is a natural gas line leak, but a leak is extremely dangerous because of the potential for an explosion. The rotten egg smell of natural gas isn’t there on its own, it’s been added to help you detect even the tiniest gas leak!
If you think you smell gas or you suspect there’s been a gas leak:
- Open doors and windows right away to let in fresh air.
- Do not turn on or off any electrical appliances or light switches.
- Do not try to find the leak.
- Do not use the house phone or a cell phone within your house.
- Do not smoke or light matches or lighters.
- Most importantly, NEVER hesitate to call 911 if you smell gas! Leave the house and call 911 from a safe distance!