Cooking fires remain the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries.
Did you know? Cooking fires remain the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries. Unattended cooking accounts for one third of these fires.
According to insurance company State Farm, more cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving Day than any other day of the year.
Here are some tips to keep you safe while you prepare your holiday feasts!
- Stay in the kitchen, don’t leave cooking food unattended.
- Wear short or tight-fitting sleeves. Long, loose sleeves are more likely to catch on fire or get caught on pot handles.
- Keep the area around the stove clear of towels, papers, potholders and anything that can burn.
- Cook at indicated temperature settings rather than higher settings.
- Keep a pot lid nearby to smother a pan fire. Do not attempt to pick up the pot or pan. Shut off the heat and cover the fire with a lid.
- DO NOT USE WATER. It will cause splashing and spread the fire.
- Treat burns immediately with cool running water.