Don’t Overload Electrical Outlets

Homes today are filled with lights and appliances that require the use of an electrical outlet.  But when too many things are attached to an electrical system it can overload and overheat.  This can cause an electrical fire!  Here are some ways you can avoid this:

  • Make sure your parents use light bulbs that are appropriate for the light fixture.
  • Make sure someone inspects the appliances in your home to make sure they’re running smoothly.
  • Give that TV a break! Your appliances like TVs, stereos and computers need plenty of space so they don’t overheat.
  • Remind your parents that power strips and surge protectors don’t provide more power. That means, no one in your house should be relying on them too heavily! Don’t overload them by plugging too many things into each one.
  • You can become an appliance watch dog in your own home! Make sure your parents unplug appliances like toaster ovens, hair dryers and coffee pots when they’re not using them.