Unattended cooking accounts for 33% of home fires. Never leave cooking food unattended and make sure to follow these tips while cooking:
- Stay in the kitchen while food is cooking.
- Establish a “kid-free zone” of three feet around your stove.
- Keep the area around your stove clear of towels, paper, and anything else that can easily burn or catch fire.
- Cook at indicated temperature settings.
- Regularly clean your cooking equipment so that there is no accumulation of food items or grease which increase flammability.
- Use a lid or baking soda to smother a pan fire.