Stay #FDNYSmart in These Frigid Temperatures

Be #FDNYSmart When Cooking This Thanksgiving
November 21, 2016
Stay #FDNYSmart This Holiday Season
December 20, 2016
Show all

Stay #FDNYSmart in These Frigid Temperatures

Hi Friends!  It’s Siren here with the latest Smart Barks Blog Post.  It’s getting chilly outside and here in New York City we are expecting some of the coldest temperatures we have seen this season.

Did you know that more than one third of home fires occur during the months of December, January and February?  These injuries and fires are preventable if you stay #FDNYSmart during this winter season.

The following are some safety tips that will keep you and your loved ones safe.

When the temperature drops, that’s when the use of electric space heaters goes up. When not used properly, they can be very dangerous!  Here are some tips that will help you heat your home safely.

  • Make sure you parents get electric space heaters that automatically shut off.
  • Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord or power strip.  If cords are frayed do not use.
  • Place space heaters in a place where it won’t come into contact with water, for example away from the bathroom, etc.
  • Keep combustible material like drapes, carpet or furniture at least three feet away from a heating source.
  • Remember to turn off and unplug the space heather when everyone leaves the room.

Other ways people stay warm is the use of an electric blanket.  If you or your grown-up are using one, make sure it is less than 10 years old from the date of purchase.  It is important to use blankets that automatically shut-off.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is another thing to beware of as you and your grown-up are heating up your home. Carbon monoxide is odorless and cannot be seen.  Therefore it is critical to have a working smoke and carbon monoxide detector.   Here are some tips to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Make sure all fuel burning devices like furnaces, boilers, hot water heaters and dryers are properly vented and working right.  If your adult is unsure, ask a professional.
  • If you have a working fireplace, keep chimney clean and clear of debris.
  • NEVER use a gas stove, oven, BBQ grill, kerosene, propane or oil-burning heaters to heat your home.

Some symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, vomiting, headache, nausea, trouble breathing and more.  If you or your grown up think you have carbon monoxide poisoning, leave the area immediately and call 911.

So friends as we get through the next couple of extremely cold days, lets remember to be #FDNYSmart.  Stay indoors as much as possible and be sure to dress properly.  And don’t forget to lend a helping paw to your neighbors or the elderly if they need assistance.

For more safety tips you can read our flash facts here.  Don’t forget to follow Siren and Hot Dog on Twitter. Stay Warm!