A Local School Gets HonoredMay 11, 2017
It’s CPR and AED Awareness Week!June 1, 2017
Hot Dog here with a #FDNYSmart reminder.
There were two separate fires on Staten Island over the weekend and Fire Marshals say both were caused by candles. One person died and more than a dozen others were injured, including firefighters and police officers.
It is really important to be #FDNYSmart when it comes to candle safety.
Did you know that more than 33 percent of candle fires happen when candles are left unattended? Half of the people killed by candle fires in the home are usually under the age of 20, with most victims between five and nine years of age.
This means friends of all ages need to be careful around candles.
Here are some safety tips you should remember when it comes to protecting yourself and your family members near candles.
- Use sturdy candle holders, with flame-protective non-combustible (glass or metal) shades or globes.
- Place candles at least four feet away from curtains, draperies, blinds, kitchen cabinets and bedding.
- Place candles out of reach of small children and pets.
- Extinguish candles when they burn within two inches of the holder.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Secure hair and clothing, such as sleeves or aprons, away from the flame when handling candles.
- Keep candles, matches and lighters out of reach of children.
Watch our PSA about how small flames become large fires here.
Friends, please share these tips with your loved ones & stay #FDNYSmart!